Apple Betty Fun Facts
A Betty consists of a fruit, most commonly apples, baked between layers of buttered crumbs. Betties are an English pudding dessert closely related to the French apple charlotte. Betty was a popular baked pudding made during colonial times in America.
- October 5th is National Apple Betty Day.
- The name seems to have first appeared in print in 1864, when an article in the Yale Literary Magazine listed it (in quotation marks, implying that it was not then a fully established term) with tea, coffee, and pies as things to be given up during ‘training’. That author gave brown in lower case and Betty in upper case: and, in default of evidence to the contrary, it seems best to go along with the view that Betty is here a proper name.
- Apple Brown Betty was one of the favorite desserts of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in the White House.
- Brown Betty (1890) – This recipe was part of the winning essay for the $500 American Public health Association Lomb prize on practical, Sanitary, and Economic Cooking Adapted to persons of Moderate and Small Means, which became a book of the same title by Mrs. Mary Hinman Abel. It was part of a series of menus to feed a family on thirteen cents a day. Mrs. Abel may have carried the recipe into use the New England Kitchen, an experimental Boston restaurant aimed at “improving” the food choices of the poor.
Facts and picture courtesy of
Grandma’s Apple Brown Betty
Recipe Made with Love by
10 -12 baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1⁄4 cups flour
3⁄4 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 lb butter
2⁄3 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 cup hot water
1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange slices in the bottom of a lightly greased 12×9 pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Mix flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly and set aside.
- Syrup: Combine ingredients and stir well.
- Drizzle half of mixture over apples.
- Cover with flour mix.
- Pour remaining syrup over top.
- Bake at 350 for one hour.
Print the recipe in Adobe Acrobat – Grandmas Apple Brown Betty – Food dot
- Serving Size: 1 (2489) g
- Calories: 3531.7
- Calories from Fat 871 g25 %
- Total Fat 96.8 g148 %
- Saturated Fat 59.1 g295 %
- Cholesterol 244 mg81 %
- Sodium 921.5 mg38 %
- Total Carbohydrate 682.3 g227 %
- Dietary Fiber 50.8 g202 %
- Sugars 492.8 g1971 %
- Protein 22.5 g45 %
Make sure to visit @Leslie for more recipes