Authentic and spicy peanut sauce with spices and rich taste. This homemade peanut sauce recipe goes well with chicken satay. This is the best peanut satay sauce you will find online!
Peanut Sauce Recipe
My peanut sauce recipe is 100% homemade and authentic. It’s mildly spicy, made of aromatics, spices and dry roasted peanuts.
The amazing rich taste of this recipe is unmatched. It is the best recipe you’ll find online!
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Peanut Sauce?
This recipe is easy to make from scratch. It calls for the following ingredients:
- Roasted peanuts
- Palm sugar or sugar
- Dried red chilies
The method is a three-step process. First, ground the roasted peanuts. You can use store-bought Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts.
Next, prepare and blend the spice paste.
To make the spicy peanut satay sauce, heat oil and fry the spice paste, then add the ground peanuts and water.
Add tamarind juice, sugar, sweet soy sauce and salt to season the sauce.
The dipping sauce is ready when the oil and the sauce separates.
Asian Peanut Sauce
This sauce is very popular in Southeast Asia; almost every country has its peanut dipping sauce recipe.
There is Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Indonesian versions and so on but the BEST peanut sauce is found in Malaysia.
The recipe I am sharing today is the best of all. The taste is exquisite, rich and complex!
Once you try it, you will never go back to peanut butter sauce or any recipes using peanut butter as the main ingredient.
What Do You Eat with Peanut Sauce?
Peanut sauce is versatile and goes well with a variety of dishes.
Other than satay dipping sauce, you can use it as a salad dressing.
It’s equally delicious on chicken, tofu, rice cakes and a variety of Asian dishes.
You can also use it in stir fry dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Peanut Butter Instead of Ground Peanuts
For the best and authentic flavors, I don’t recommend peanut butter as a substitute.
How Do I Store Peanut Sauce?
You can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. Make sure you store the sauce in a container or in a bowl tightly covered with plastic wraps.
To serve, just reheat the sauce in a microwave for 1 minute.
You can also freeze the sauce in the freezer. To serve, thaw the sauce to room temperature and reheat in a microwave.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is 231 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
This dipping sauce is best served with chicken satay. You can also use the sauce for the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1 heaping tablespoon tamarind pulps
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, palm sugar preferred
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 8 dried red chilies, seeded and soaked in warm water
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cloves small shallots or pearl onions, peeled
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3 strips, use only 1 strip at the bottom
- 1/2 inch galangal, peeled
- Crush the peanuts with mortar and pestle or use a food processor to ground the peanuts. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the tamarind pulps plus 1/4 cup warm water. Set aside for 15 mins. Squeeze and extract the juice from the tamarind pulp and discard. Keep the tamarind juice.
- Chop the Spice Paste ingredients coarsely, transfer to a food processor and blend until very fine. Add a few tablespoons of water to help blending.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil on medium heat and add the spice paste.
- Add the remaining two strips of lemongrass in the spice paste. Fry the spice paste until aromatic and smell spicy.
- Add the ground peanuts, water, tamarind juice, salt, sugar, coriander powder and sweet soy sauce. Stir to combine well.
- Reduce the peanut sauce on medium-low heat, stir continuously for about 5-10 minutes or until the peanut sauce thickens to your desired consistency, or until the oil and the peanut sauce separates.
- Let cool at room temperature and serve with satay.
Amount Per Serving Calories 231Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 299mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 6g