Y’ all know I’ m about the bowl meals, right? It’ s pretty routine for me to go into my fridge, grab no matter what odds and ends I have, and throw all of them into a bowl for a meal. They often have some sort of base (a wheat or salad greens), a proteins, some vegetables, and some sort of mozzarella cheese or dressing on top. The rice-hummus combo is one of my favorite dish meal bases, so I wanted to emphasize that here and show just how versatile it is. So , that being said, these Mediterranean sea Hummus Bowls are less of the “ recipe” and more of a design template for easy meals. I’ meters going to offer plenty of ideas designed for swaps and substitutions below, yet I encourage you to get innovative and discover your own new flavor combos based on what you have in your refrigerator!
Mediterranean Hummus Bowls
Ideas for Swaps and Alternatives
- Garlic Marinated Chicken (thighs or breast)
- Soft Hard boiled Eggs (see a photograph of my “ breakfast” hummus bowl in that post)
- Beef Kofta Meatballs
- Ground chicken or chicken instead of ground meat prepared in the same way as the beef within the recipe below.
- Proceed all veg! The hummus supplies a good amount of protein, so you can retain it simple and just do the rice, hummus, and vegetables.
- Any mixture of roasted veggies
- Quartered artichoke hearts
- Sun dried out tomatoes
- Roasted or even grilled eggplant
- Sauté ed or grilled zucchini or even yellow squash
- Roasting cauliflower
- Roasted reddish colored peppers (from a jar)
- Bell peppers
- Shredded beets or carrots
- Any other grain, like bulgur, farro, brown rice, quinoa, and so forth
- Salad greens
- Or you can even make this in to a naan pizza. Spread the hummus over the naan like a sauce plus add the rest of the ingredients on top.
Mediterranean Hummus Bowls
. wprm-recipe-rating. wprm-rating-star. wprm-rating-star-full svg * fill: #343434;
Seasoned Ground Beef
- 1/2 lb. surface beef $2. 65
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano $0. 05
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin $0. 05
- 1/4 tsp garlic clove powder $0. 02
- 1/4 tsp sodium $0. 02
Bowl Components (all ingredients optional)
- 4 cups prepared rice $0. 70
- 1 cup hummus* $1. 48
- 1 pint grape tomato vegetables $1. 89
- 1/2 English cucumber $0. 75
- 1/4 red onion $0. 07
- one cup kalamata olives $0. 90
- two oz . crumbled feta $1. 10
- few fresh parsley, chopped $0. 25
Add the ground meat to a skillet, along with the oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Prepare and stir the beef more than medium heat until fully browned and evenly combined with the spices.
To build the containers, add 1 cup rice and 0.25 cup hummus to each dish. Divide the remaining ingredients among the 4 bowls, or in any amount that you want. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate till ready to eat.
This formula works great for meal prep! I would eat the meal prepped containers cold rather than reheated to avoid food preparation the raw vegetables.
Step by Step Pictures
Add 1/2 lb. terrain beef to a skillet along with 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic natural powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Prepare and stir the beef more than medium heat until it is completely browned and combined with the spices.
As the beef is cooking, prepare your toppings. I used grape tomato vegetables, English cucumber, some leftover reddish colored onion that I had, leftover kalamata olives, a handful of parsley, and some remaining feta cheese. Here’ s the tip for red onions: allow them to soak for about 5 minutes in glaciers water and that will take the super hot and spicy edge off and make them just a little easier on the stomach.: )
After that it’ s time to build your Mediterranean sea Hummus Bowls! Start with about 1 cup of rice per dish, add 1/4 cup hummus, after that just go ahead and divide the rest of your ingredients one of the four bowls. You can serve all of them right away, or pack them aside in meal prep containers at a later time. They’ ll keep in the refrigerator for about four days.
Are you already a hummus bowl eater? What are your favorite leading combos? I’ d love to listen to more ideas! Leave your favorite components for me in the comments below.