Kalbi (Korean Short Ribs) – very popular dish of grilled beef ribs in a delicious marinade found at Korean BBQ restaurants. Make it at home today.
What is Kalbi?
Everyone loves Korean BBQ, especially the juicy, tender, and flavorful kalbi or Korean short ribs.
The key to a good marinade for kalbi is a balance of flavors, both sweet and savory. Traditionally, honey or sugar is used for sweetening the marinade.
Many Korean women today agree that the best ingredient to use is a citrus soda like 7-UP. They say that not only is it sweet, but it also tenderizes the meat…
Main Ingredients for Korean Short Ribs
- Flanken-style short ribs
- Asian pear
- White or yellow onion
- Soy sauce
- Citrus soda
- Green onion
- You need to grate both Asian pear and onion into your marinade in order to impart more flavor than simply chopping them.
- Make sure you buy Korean style short ribs, and soak them before marinating. The Korean style ribs are cut perpendicular to the bone, so you end up with an 6-10 inch strip of meat and three small bone segments attached.
- You can find Korean short ribs at any Asian grocery store, but they’re often at local grocers and butchers as well. Because the bones are cut during the slicing process, there is a lot of bone dust on the ribs. Soaking them before marinating makes sure this dust is rinsed away.
- Although the ribs are best on the grill, you can also cook them indoors. Using an indoor grill press they need to cook about 6 minutes, or you can cook them in a large skillet on high heat for 3-4 minutes each side.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between bulgogi and kalbi?
The main difference between bulgogi and kalbi is the cut of beef. Kalbi is short ribs while bulgolgi is thinly sliced ribeye steak. Both use the same marinade.
What is kalbi sauce made of?
This recipe uses Asian pear, onion, soy sauce, citrus soda, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes for the marinade.
What is the difference between Kalbi and galbi?
They are the same thing.
How many calories?
This recipe has 646 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This dish is best served with kimchi and rice. For a wholesome Korean meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 lbs Flanken-style short ribs, about 12 pieces
- 1 Asian pear
- 1/2 white or yellow onion
- 1 cup soy sauce (I use Aloha shoyu)
- 1 cup citrus soda, like Sierra Mist
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- Place ribs in a large casserole dish and fill it with water until the ribs are covered. Let sit in the fridge at least 30 minutes, then pour off water and rinse the ribs and dish.
- Return ribs to the casserole dish. Grate the flesh of an Asian pear and half of an onion over the ribs. Add all remaining ingredients to the ribs and use tongs stir marinade and make sure ribs are all soaking. Cover the dish and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (overnight is better).
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Use tongs to place ribs on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes each side. Garnish with additional green onion and sesame seeds if desired. Serve with kimchee and rice.
Recipe from Diana at dianasaurdishes.com
Amount Per Serving Calories 646Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 147mgSodium 3431mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 55g