4-6 lettuce leaves
8 c. mixed broccoli, broccoflower(lighter green broccoli) and cauliflower heads, blanched
1 c. baby carrots
4-8 c. mixed veggies like cherry tomatoes, mixed olives, and Giardiniera Mixed Pickled Veggies
1 slice of carrot (cut in a star shape)
Styrofoam cone and toothpicks
Favorite dipping sauces
- Place the cone on your serving platter.
- Using toothpicks wrap the lettuce leaves around the cone. You can also use lettuce leaves to line your serving platter, if desired.
- After blanching broccoli, etc. in salted boiling water, chill them immediately to keep the color.
- Using the largest of the broccoli flower heads, place on foam starting at the base and work your way up securing with toothpicks.
- Push ½ of the carrots randomly into the foam.
- Take the rest of veggies and cut into small pieces and fill any empty spots and brighten up the tree. Use toothpicks only if needed.
- Mix remaining carrots with the remaining veggies and place around the base of the tree.
- Top with star.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
*Sometimes I take the leftover carrots, olives, tomatoes with the juice from the Giardiniera mixed pickled veggies to add a little zest. You can also just marinate the veggies for more flavor.