Easy and the best recipe for chicken curry with tender chicken, spices and coconut milk in rich and spicy curry sauce. This curry chicken recipe is delicious and best served with steamed rice.
Chicken Curry Recipe
Chicken curry is my favorite food. Today I am going to share the recipe on how to make curry chicken from scratch.
This easy and best recipe yields tender, fall-off-the-bones chicken in creamy and rich coconut curry chicken sauce. It’s so good!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Different Types of Curry Chicken
Chicken curry originated from the Indian subcontinent but it’s popular in Southeast Asia, for example: Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. It’s also well loved by many in England and the Caribbean.
Here are the different kinds of curries, mostly made with chicken:
They are all distinct recipes but the underlying flavors are pretty much the same; it made with coconut milk, spicy, rich and delicious.
The recipe I am sharing today is Chicken Curry Kapitan, a Malaysian “dry” curry. It’s a dry curry because the curry sauce is thicker and not so watery.
The recipe is adapted from Indian chicken curry. Kapitan is the name given to appointed Chinese chiefs during the Portuguese and Dutch colonization in Malaysia.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 431 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with steamed rice. For a wholesome Malaysian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs and/or breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 lemongrass white part only, cut into 4-inch lengths, pounded
- 6-8 pieces kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 inches galangal
- 1/2 lb fresh red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 candle nuts
- 1/2 inch fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon belacan (shrimp paste)
- Blend all the Spice Paste ingredients to a very fine paste.
- Heat up the cooking oil in a wok and stir-fry the paste until aromatic or a thin layer of oil rises to the top. Add the chicken, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Keep stirring and cooking until the chicken is almost cooked. Add the coconut milk, simmer for 15-20 minutes, over low heat. Add the lime juice and salt. Serve hot with steamed rice.
If you can’t find candle nuts, you can use macadamia nuts instead.
Amount Per Serving Calories 431Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 112mgSodium 225mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 40g